Google CAMP: Google against malware

By -

The presence of malware on the Web continues to grow, and what is even worse, its developers have continued to hone their skills to evade detection systems available.The first line of defense tends to be the user, which makes frequently fail . There are few things worse than initiate an infection through a download that “appeared” to be harmless. In order to prevent this,Google has been working on the platform CAMP , an acronym for Content-Agnostic Malware Protection , so precise in its analysis that can block about 99 percent of malware circulating.

Several specialized sites (and not so) have identified Google CAMP as an antivirus.However, a closer look at the document presented by Moheeb Abu Rajab, Lucas Ballard, Noah Lutz, Panayiotis Mavrommatis and Niels Provos on behalf of Mountain View, the term “virus” is not applied in no time at CAMP, but protections used to describe “traditional” . So what exactly is CAMP? Although it shares a common goal with the virus, which is the detection and blocking of various forms of malware , CAMP should be viewed as a security platform specially designed for the Chrome browser .This means it has some overlap with the SmartScreen feature that Microsoft integrated Internet Explorer, but as we move forward in their specifications, the gap is wider.

Google CAMP

Google CAMP

Operation of CAMP is based on a client-server structure, combining elements of blacklisting , whitelisting , and evaluation by reputation content. CAMP has its detection component in the cloud as other products, but one of the main differences is in reducing the impact on privacy. The application whitelisting allows download URL should never leave the browser, when other tools binaries are sent to the cloud for analysis forever. In fact, CAMP can detect up to 70 percent of malware “in” the computer, while the remaining 30 percent requires a more complex analysis in one of the Google servers (this is the last option if no can reach a decision with lists) . At Mountain View ran a test of CAMP for six months on a group of 200 million users using Google Chrome on Windows. We identified five million downloads per month malicious completely evaded other security systems, and the CAMP detection rate reached 98.6 percent , much higher than traditional scanning engines recorded(between 35 and 70 percent ) . The numbers are solid, but still not perfect CAMP. Why?It comes down to that CAMP can detect malware from downloads that starts the userthrough the browser. A malicious email designed to exploit a vulnerability in the browser, or an infected pendrive have the potential to be completely invisible to CAMP.Also, once you are out there, 98.6 percent detection becomes history. Malicious developers are not known for not doing anything, although CAMP is shaping up as an excellent complement to make safer our Web sessions.

 

He have started blogging on Technology and computer at his college time in 2005 and worked with many reputed organization in India. He wrote many guest post for Technology magazine and newspapers worldwide. His writing and passion about Technology make him different from other writers in the global market. He love to write the review and thoughts on any new Technology and invention in current happenings.

Comments are closed.